Thursday, October 6, 2011

9 Cent Cookies

I recently happened across a recipe for cream cheese/cake mix cookies and it seemed like something to try as a relatively cheap sweet treat.  When I shopped on Wednesday, everything I needed to buy in order to try this was on sale.  With my senior 10% discount and motivated especially by my simply wanting something chocolate, I went for it.

My yield was 51 cookies and the total cost to make them was $4.74, or $0.09 per cookie.  I used Devil's Food flavor cake mix and chopped hazelnuts for my add-in ingredient.  My goodness, these are really good!  I shaped the dough into balls about the size of a large walnut and flattened them slightly before baking.  These don't spread much, so they can be placed fairly close together.  The instructions said to bake for 10 minutes, but mine were done and needed to come out at 8 minutes.


Hazelnuts are comparable to walnuts in nutritional value and were on sale.  I used a cup from the bag I bought and will use the remaining 1/2 cup for something else.  They make these cookies jammin' good too!  That's about the best news nutrition wise for these cookies, but they will serve as a sweet treat on a budget and they're delicious.  I can't wait to have more with coffee when I get up.  A banana, a couple of these cookies and coffee sounds like heaven to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment