Sunday, October 16, 2011

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Ordinarily, if I'd cooked the Curried Pumpkin Soup already today, I wouldn't be cooking again tonight!  But there's the matter of needing to at least cook and store some food before it goes bad, and the broccoli slaw I bought on a manager's special was on the line. I had an acorn squash and lots of apples to use, so this is what I came up with.

 Cooking the apple/veggie stuffing.


To do:  Preheat oven to 350.  Peel and chop two apples and one medium onion.  Cook apples, onion, and most of a bag of broccoli slaw (shredded broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, red cabbage) in a little olive oil.  Add plenty of raisins and season to taste with salt and nutmeg.  Cook until done, but leave apples and veggies a little crisp. 

Cut acorn squash in half and remove seeds and stringy insides.  Cut a small piece of each end so the halves will stand up later when you stuff them.  Place face down in a baking pan with a little water and bake for 30 minutes.


Remove squash from oven, Carefully turn squash over and stuff halves with apple/veggie mixture.  Add more water to pan if needed and return to oven until squash is done, about 20 minutes.  NOTE:  Do be careful when turning the squash over!  One of my halves formed a vacuum of sorts in the pan and I got splashed with a little hot water when I attempted to turn it.



This, of course, gave me lots more apple/veggie mixture than I could use to stuff the squash, but I plan to freeze the leftovers and think of how to use it another way later.  The squash was $0.69/lb and the entire bag of veggies was a little over a dollar.  (I had used out of it once, to make slaw.)  These apples were only $0.80 lb.  This comes in as a really good value and it's about as nutritious as can be.  A few nuts would have added more protein and been good too.  I do like how this turned out!



One half is a substantial serving with the stuffing piled on.

No comments:

Post a Comment