Sunday, October 16, 2011

Curried Pumpkin Soup

This is a very hearty soup for Fall and is my version of a curried pumpkin soup.  It's a little thicker than many soups, and with the addition of lots of mushrooms (I'd bought on a manager's special) and onions, there's texture for chewing too.  The tomatoes add different nutrients, so this ends up being just mostly really good for you.



What I did:  Browned about a half lb mushrooms and 1 large onion (both thinly sliced) in a little butter.  Stirred in a little flour and some curry powder.  Added one can chicken broth slowly, brought heat up, cooked and stirred for about 5 or 10 minutes.  Added one can fire roasted tomatoes, one can solid packed pumpkin, salt, pepper, and more curry powder to taste (I like a lot!).  Stirred to keep smooth while all heated well.  When back to simmer, added a cup of 2% milk and heated all through before serving.

Even factoring in the cost of the tomatoes and pumpkins that I already had, this made a nice big pot of soup for about $4.00.  I ate a big bowl full and prepared containers to freeze most of the rest.


Ingredient notes:  I don't drink milk, so the only milk I buy is for cooking.  Boxes (8 oz each) are the most convenient way for me to be sure I have it when needed, since it stores in the cabinet and doesn't need to be refrigerated unless opened.  I just alter recipes to use the milk in a way that I don't have to throw much of it out.  Dried milk can work just as well too.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! That looks good so I am def stealing this recipe! That aside it looks like you are coming in under budget.Question...do you ever eat three meals a day or one main meal and some snacks? And how does that factor in the $6.45 a day?

    ReplyDelete