Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Apple French Toast Casserole

I found this recipe and thought it a great way to use apples while they're plentiful and at a good price, but I wanted to modify it to be healthier so I wouldn't feel too bad about eating a lot of it and to take advantage of what I had on hand.  I followed the general directions as posted at Yummly but made the below noted ingredient changes.


4 Tbsp butter (reduced to 3 Tbsp)

3 apples, peeled and thinly sliced (increased to 4 apples and I used Gala)

3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed (reduced to 1/2 cup)

2 Tbsp water (more if needed)

1 tsp cinnamon

8 slices Italian bread, cut 1" thick (I used 6 slices whole wheat bread.  See below.*)

1 1/4 cup milk (reduced to 1 cup and used 2%)

2 tsp vanilla extract

I also added about 4/5 cup raisins when I added the brown sugar and water to the apples for more nutrition.  And I added about 4 Tbsp chopped hazelnuts to toast on top in my version.  The substitutions made here result in a dish that's both heartier but more nutritious than the original.

*I didn't lay slices on top of the apple mixture as the directions called for.  Instead, I tore the 6 slices of whole wheat bread into cubes and spread them on top of the apple mixture.  After I poured the milk/egg mixture over all, I used a spoon to tamp the bread down into the liquid and made sure the contents were spread evenly in the pan.

Sitting to come to room temperature before going into the oven this morning.




If you get four generous servings from this, each has the nutritional value of 1 egg, 1 apple, 1 1/2 slices whole wheat bread, 1/5 cup raisins, 1 Tbsp hazelnuts, and 1/4 cup 2% milk.  That's pretty well loaded and justifies in my mind the accompanying 3 Tbsp butter and 1/2 cup sugar spread throughout the rest of the pan.  I do think, though, that it's possible to reduce the sugar here further and I'll do that another time.


  This one is definitely a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment