Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Shopping

Shopped today in order to take advantage of the senior discount at Kroger.  With sale prices and the 10% discount, I saved $29.99, not counting what I saved on three clearance items I purchased...about another $3-4 there.

I mostly tried to buy what was on sale, but did also buy a few staple items in order to get the discount.  There were some good buys today.  Some of the best values are pictured below.






Gala apples and tangerines all came in at less than a dollar a lb, and both squash varieties were only $0.69 lb.  Clearance specials from the produce section yielded fresh mushrooms and broccoli slaw at about half their usual cost.  Generic plain oatmeal will combine with some apples and/or raisins for a low cost and healthy breakfast and the cake mix was bought for less than a dollar to make what turned out to be 9 cent cookies (recipe and pic will follow in next post).  A couple of large baking potatoes will cook in the microwave and probably be topped with broccoli and cheese for a meal and were also about half of their usual price.

An itemized list of food purchased is on this blog.  The hardest thing to justify was the coffee I bought.  In the end, I bought it because I knew I'd feel deprived if I didn't and it was on sale as well.  Didn't much like buying the butter either, but it was on sale, haven't had any here for months, and did it anyway.

What did I not buy that I would have usually?  The dang fresh tomatoes, that's what!  Just couldn't justify it at this point.  Perhaps later in the month, if the budget holds up well.

My plan is to not purchase any more food now until I make a trip to a resource for free food I'm eligible for.  I want to see what I can get before I lay out any more cash to purchase on my own.  It would have been, no doubt, a good idea to have been able to do that before I went to the store today, but just didn't have the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment