Tuesday, October 11, 2011

So Far, So Good!

I'm about a third way into the month now, and things are going mostly ok with this experiment.  From a dollar standpoint, I'm doin' great!  I'm optimistic that at the end of the month, that will still be true and that I'll actually end up spending considerably less than $200 to eat.

The biggest difficulty I'm having, though, is simply eating the food that's here!  My appetite seems to be off right now, and though there is a lot of food here, I mostly am not hungry and have had to even throw some food out.  I don't like doing that!  But I did have some things I had before the beginning of the month that I just never got around to using and if I don't start wanting/eating more green stuff, it may happen again!

I ate from the Marsala chicken three times before I froze the remainder of it and have used some of the leftover rice to make beans and rice today.

I've had tuna salad a couple of times lately and topped the sandwiches with some field greens I already had.  My tuna salad is very simple:  1 small can solid white albacore tuna, 2 hard boiled eggs (chopped), plenty of onion, a little pickle relish, and a little mayo, salt and pepper.  Had this on the whole wheat bread I bought on the buy-one-get-one sale.



And, free food seems to just find me right now!  Haven't yet accessed any of the food at a food bank, but a neighbor gave me a lovely eggplant I'll turn into a no-meat main dish soon, maybe incorporating some hot pepper relish another neighbor made and gave me.





And, coming up...Tonight, I tried my hand at altering a recipe I found for Apple French Toast Casserole.  Hmmm...sounds good, huh?  My version of it is in the refrigerator now, and will be ready to bake tomorrow morning.  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment