Wednesday, October 5, 2011

So, What Am I Missing So Far?

Tomatoes!  Fresh tomatoes!  I'm almost craving them!  And, if I don't eat any more of the chicken soup I made to help tide me over until the discount day at my grocer for at least a couple of weeks, I'll be very happy!  (Two small containers of leftovers went into the freezer.)

Today was finally the awaited shopping day (will write more about that in my next blog post), but will quickly post a little of what I've been eating the past few days.






Cheese toast and an apple were my first feed of the day once this week.  You're gonna see "cheese toast" on the list of what I eat (when I finally get that page up) a lot, because I eat it often.  It's fast, cheap, has lots of protein, and there ya have it!  Varies sometimes, but it's usually (and is here) sharp cheddar on whole wheat.  I just dump the cheese (shredded, because I buy it that way) on top of the bread and run it under the broiler.  Add a piece of fruit or some sort of salad and it's a tasty meal.






This plate included several things I already had on hand...the fresh asparagus, feta dressing, and kalamata olives.  I just washed and trimmed the asparagus, microwaved it with a small amount of water, drained and chilled it.  Then topped with prepared dressing and a boiled egg to get some protein into the mix.  The olives probably won't be seen again for a while because that was the end of the bottle and it may be difficult later in the month to justify a $3-$4 jar of olives on a $6.45 a day budget.  I did, however, save the brine to use for flavoring.

Now, about those tomatoes!  Cooked this the other night, again using some things I already had before the beginning of the month (except the eggs and cheese).  I sauteed some chopped frozen spinach with chopped onion and minced garlic.  Then stirred in two eggs and some cheddar cheese and cooked until set.  If I wasn't trying to do this food experiment now, I would have definitely had some fresh tomato slices with this.  Or, even some spicy salsa.  As it was, I did have a can of whole tomatoes in the cabinet, so I used some of them, chopped, to accompany this.  It really was good, but I still want a fresh tomato!

No comments:

Post a Comment