Monday, October 17, 2011

Smoked Sausage Sandwich

Cutting a one lb smoked sausage link into four pieces will give me good portions to make sandwiches with.  I cooked the link under the broiler in the oven, turning it once to brown good all over and cook thru well.  To add some nutrition to the meal, I served it on a bed of field greens on a slice of whole wheat bread.


Then I added spicy brown mustard, some hot pepper/pickle relish a neighbor made and gave me, and some chopped onion.  It took both hands to hold onto this, but it was surely good and the mess was more than worth the effort!

The sausage was $2.50, so even with figuring in a little for condiments and garnish (and, remember that the field greens were a manager's special clearance item), this still comes in for probably less than $0.80 per serving.  It's very filling too.  Bonus:  There's definitely enough here to count as at least one, possibly two, servings of veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment